Wednesday, January 9, 2013

About Me

I'm Rachel Sherman and I'm a sophomore at Indiana University in Bloomington, but I'm originally from Basking Ridge, New Jersey. I'm majoring in Jewish Studies and Folklore with (hopefully) a minor in Hebrew. I've have visited Jerusalem on two separate occasions and consider my visits to be life-altering.  Being in Jerusalem forced me to think about the controversies surrounding Jerusalem politically, religiously, and socially. These questions have remained with me since my first visit in July 2009. I plan to attend rabbinical school after I complete my undergraduate degree in hopes of teaching Jewish Studies and related fields.

When choosing a name for my blog, I researched quotes about Jerusalem. The following quotes stood out to me:

1). " Of the 10 measures of beauty that God hath bestowed upon the world, nine of these fall to the lot of Jerusalem - The Talmud." 

2). " No people blessed as thine, no city like Jerusalem - Christian Hymn."

Lastly, the quote from which I named my blog.

3) "One prayer in Jerusalem is worth 40,000 elsewhere - Islamic Saying."

These quotes demonstrate the importance of Jerusalem to Jews, Christians, and Muslims alike. Through this blog, I hope to express my personal opinions and notions about Jerusalem, one of the most controversial cities in the world.

<http://www.bible-history.com/jesus/jesusuntitled00000389.htm>


No comments:

Post a Comment